Flippin, Arkansas: SRTS Pedestrian Safety Education

Flippin, AR, is a rural town that is home to Flippin Elementary School, Flippin Middle School and Flippin High School.


Flippin, AR, is a rural town that is home to Flippin Elementary School, Flippin Middle School and Flippin High School. All of these schools are on the same campus, and approximately 100 of the 920 students regularly walk to school, despite the limited sidewalks around the school and the highway bordering part of campus.

Albuquerque, New Mexico: Community looks to sustain its SRTS activities

In 2005, and with only local funding, Safe Routes to School encouragement activities began at Valle Vista Elementary. These activities included bicycle rodeos, Walking Wednesdays and Walk to School Days.


Is it safe/legal for elementary school children to walk to school when they need to cross railroad tracks?

Making good judgments about whether crossing railroad tracks is safe or legal for school children in an area must be made on a case-by-case basis. Nonetheless, when thinking about crossing railroad tracks, there are some useful guiding principles. To determe whether crossing railroad tracks in your community is appropriate for elementary school children, it is worth considering the following:

Child-related information

Is there a webinar that covers recommended engineering improvements for safe walking and biking?

Together with America Walks, the National Center for Safe Routes to School recorded a webinar called, "Top Ten Engineering Treatments for Improving Walking and Bicycling." You can the webinar as follows:

Can SRTS funds be used for infrastructure in the construction of a new school?

According to federal guidelines, potential infrastructure projects that some States have used for existing SRTS or related programs include:

Explore other program tools:

What are some ways to make room for pedestrians on narrow roadways?

Making room for pedestrians and other road users involves maximizing the use of a street's existing right-of-way. If the existing right-of-way on a street does not have sufficient space for sidewalks on both sides of the street, providing sidewalks on only one side may be adequate. However, by working with local and/or state transportation professionals, you might find that it's possible to narrow car travel lanes or implement a "road diet" to provide additional sidewalk space. 

Explore other program tools:

How do I know whether pedestrian HAWK signals are appropriate for my school?

To assess whether such a pedestrian HAWK signal treatment is suitable for your area, we recommend that you contact your Safe Routes to School (SRTS) State Coordinator. To obtain the contact information and website for your SRTS Coordinator please visit our Find State Contacts page and once there select your state on the interactive map or by using the drop down menu.

Explore other program tools: